« Home | Islamic Extremism: Food for Thought » | NEW DISCUSSION BOARD » | The Saved Generation » | SOCIAL SECURITY: Idolatry and Slavery » | The Protest of a Protestant Minister Against Birth... » | Five Reasons Why Christians Should Not Obtain a St... » | What do you think of this Election? » | Persecution; Tyrrany; & Child-Killing in Mississippi » | Come to Mississippi & Save Babies » | A Reformed, Biblical Defence of Young Earth Creati... »

Quincy Adams book on Baptists

Sorry I've not posted for a while. I have been working on adding content to the main sute, the Discussion Board has taken off like gangbusters, and we actually have a real life as well.

Last weekend we spent a few days with an old friend in South Mississippi.

His personal libarary is upwards of 1100 or 1200 books & his wife & son have hundreds more. 90%+ of his books would fit in the non fluff category.

Being a family full of biblophiles, we spent a good bit of our free moments over the weekend pouring over the wall-to-wall/ floor-to-ceiling bookshelves .

As is often the case, a little book in the corner caught my eye. It was a small paper back called "[u][i]Baptists: Thorough Religious Reformers[/i][/u]" written by John Quincy Adams. (yes, [i]that[/i] John Quincy Adams)

I skimmed it and it looked interesting enough that I searched online & found it. I will order this & report back. I assume its going to be very good since I read that Mr. Spurgeon had used it as a text book in one of his college classes . . .

I post this first to ask if any of y'all had heard of/ read this book & what you thought of it.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I think it is very telling that in the mid-1800's a former President of these united States -- and the son of one of the founders who was also a President --- considered it a worthwhile & important use of his time to write a book of this nature. . . .

I think it says a great deal about the culture of that era & its foundations.

Would to God that He would see fit to birth such a culture again.

Leslie

Les,

That's definitely a book I want to read. I'll find a copy and maybe we can compare notes after we've both finished it?

Les,

I found it online here:
http://www.reformedreader.org/history/adams/btrtoc.htm

Post a Comment